GSGB Meetings for 2019


May 21st and 22nd Woodhall Spa Hotchkin/Bracken
Woodhall Spa Web Site

Golf was first introduced to Woodhall Spa in 1890 when a nine hole course opened for play. The Golf Club was instituted in 1891 and flourished until 1895 when the land that the course was built on was required for building. A new site was hurriedly found and another nine hole course was laid out. The village was extremely popular for its spa waters and golf proved to be another attraction.

In 1902 it became clear that the Golf Club would have to find another home as the land was required for town expansion once again. Local landowner and prominent member, Stafford Vere Hotchkin, offered a sandy tract of land off the Horncastle Road for the building of an 18 hole course (this is the site where the course remains today). Harry Vardon was employed to design the course and he visited Woodhall Spa on 24th January 1903.  During his stay he played an exhibition match over the old nine hole course, setting a new course record of 35 in the process.

Course construction was not straightforward due to the nature of the ground and the weather conditions. After two years the course was ready for play and J.H.Taylor advised the placement of bunkers before the course was formally opened for play on 24th April 1905. The official opening took place on 30th June 1905 and the celebrations included an exhibition match.

The original course, now rated as one of the finest golf courses in the world, was aptly renamed ‘the Hotchkin’ when the second course (the Bracken) opened for play in 1998. The dream of a National Golf Centre was finally achieved and there is no doubt that the game of golf has benefited from the Hotchkin’s legacy.

The Hotchkin.

Ranked among the World’s Top 100 Courses by Golf World magazine (25th) and 4th in England by Golf World, The Hotchkin Course at the National Golf Centre, Woodhall Spa, is consistently rated among the world’s finest heathland golf experiences and a favourite destination for golf breaks.

For more than a century, golf travellers have been welcomed to this exquisite heathland course, famous for its natural beauty, dramatic bunkering and distinct tactical challenge.

Each of The Hotchkin Course’s 18 holes is individually memorable,
while the joy of every drive and crisply struck iron shot from firm, heathland turf makes for an unforgettable experience.

The Bracken.

Created by Donald Steel, one of Britain’s foremost golf course architects of the modern era, The Bracken Course, which opened in 1998, has evolved into a course of exceptional finesse that is appreciated and enjoyed every day by golfers of all abilities.

Hewn from a contrasting landscape of woodland and arable farmland, the fairways and greenside bunkers are more generous than those of The Hotchkin Course, while the large, welcoming greens are more approachable, yet require thought and touch to master the true-rolling putting surfaces.

What makes The Bracken Course both special and a pleasure to play is its reputation as a role model for contemporary golf course creation. Its wild flowers and wildlife habitats emphasise the importance of ecology and natural harmony, an area of expertise in which the English Golf Union offers thought leadership and professional advisory services.


June 20th and 21st Middlesbrough/Cleveland

Middlesbrough  Web Site

Founded in 1908, our golf course was based at Saltersgill Farm until 1938, when we moved to our present location which was designed by James Braid (five times Open Champion), a renowned golf course architect who fully exploited the natural ravines and undulating land. The course was officially opened in April 1939 and in 1990, new holes were laid through acquired woodland to give us the layout as it is today.

Our course is situated in countryside 5 miles south of Middlesbrough with stunning views of the Cleveland Hills. There are many attractive and challenging holes, the tree-lined short 4th (197 yards), the dog-leg 11th, around or over Oakwood (544 yards), the 8th which has been described by many visitors as one if the most attractive holes they have played.

Cleveland Web Site

Cleveland Golf Club was established in 1887, our course is the only true Championship links, and also the oldest course in the county of Yorkshire. Over the clubs 130 year history it is known that a few architects have had involvement in the design of the golf course, the most famous being Old Tom Morris, Harry S Colt, and then in 2000 Donald Steel designed three new holes. In 2007 the club hosted the English Golf Union county finals, and many other County and Professional events, and is the home to the Amateur scratch competition the Cleveland Salver.In August 2011 the club hosted the Yorkshire County Team Championship. 
Our Championship links course, is situated on the beautiful North East coastline and measures 6921 yards CSS 74 from the black tees and 6704 yards CSS 73 from the white tees with a par of 72. The Ladies Championship course is played from red tees all year round and their course measures 5545 yards CSS 73 also with a par of 72. The course itself is flat and easy to walk, it is protected by strategically placed bunkers both on the fairways and around the greens, and in addition and in common with many other Championship links courses, it is a true test of golf when the wind blows.





July 23rd and 24th East Sussex National ( The AGM ) Web Site

Two stunning championship golf courses in the heart of Sussex.

A centre of excellence awaits you at East Sussex National Golf Club, already enjoyed by enthusiasts across the world, experience for yourself the stunning combination of natural beauty and man-made perfection. The courses can be played from different tees and will test golfers of all abilities. Meticulous attention to detail and clubhouse facilities, which are amongst the best in Europe, make the game even more enjoyable.

THE SURFACES -The playing surfaces measure up to, or exceed, the finest courses in the world. The courses are played to main greens and from grass tees throughout the year. The Greens are some of the most undulating you will play and can run at around 11-12 on the stimpmeter.

THE ATTENTION TO DETAIL - With golf cart tarmac paths following the fairways all the way round both courses; there are 150 yard markers to the centre of the greens on all fairways and the teams of starter/marshals help to keep up the pace of the play.
West Course



The East Course

The East Course is a 7,081 yard stadium layout, designed for tournament play. It has been the setting for many important UK & international tournaments – notably the European Open Championship on two occasions.


The West Course

The West Course meanders through stands of ancient oak, along quiet pools and streams. The par 72 West Course stretches 7,154 unforgettable yards.

August 19th and 20th St Anne's Old Links and Fairhaven
St Anne's Old Links Web Site


Founded in 1901, St Annes Old Links is one of the fine championship links of England’s north west coast and hosted the Local Final Qualifying for The Open in July 2012 held at nearby Royal Lytham & St Annes, the Ladies' Golf Union Girl’s Home International Matches in August 2013, the English Women's Open Amateur Strokeplay Championship in August 2015, the Boys' Home Internationals in early
 August 2017 and the UK Seniors Golf Association 
North West Championship at the end of August 2017.

The Old Links has been voted in "England's Top 100 courses 2018" by National Club Golfer; in June 2013 issue Golf World's "Top 100 Golf Courses in England 2013" 

Our signature 9th hole was voted by Golf World in the May 2010 issue as the Top 9th Hole in Great Britain and Ireland. The great Bobby Jones is quoted as saying "it's difficult to see how you could improve on this". Enough said!


Fairhaven Web Site


Officially recognised as one of the finest Championship courses in the north of England, Fairhaven Golf Club offers golfers of all handicaps a beautiful place to play golf.

Home to professional golf since 1934, Fairhaven has all the characteristics of a traditional links course and is immaculately kept from tee to green, allowing year-round golf.
Originally a 12-hole course adjacent to Fairhaven Lake in 1892 and founded as a club in 1895, Fairhaven Golf Club moved half a mile inland to its current location, in what was then Lytham Hall Park, in 1924. As the course was then very flat and without trees J.A. Steer, the then professional at Blackpool Golf Club and later of Lytham Green Drive Golf Club, and James Braid, three times winner of the Open Championship, landscaped the course by creating the hills, hollow and bunkers that have since characterised the layout. Contrary to fable there have never been 365 bunkers but there were certainly more than the present 118, as the original hollows were filled with sand which and raked until 1939.

In 1931 some re-modelling of the course was carried out by J.A. Steer to raise the standards of the course nearer to those of a championship course.

Dave Thomas, a big-hitting Ryder Cup player, was commissioned to review the course in 1977 and to make recommendations for improvement. The results of that work remain evident today in the raised profile of the bunkers, the altered shapes of the greens, the general tightening up of the course, and the planting of numerous spinneys and the spread of the rhododendrons.

September 16th and 7th Moor Park and Beaconsfield
Moor Park Web Site

A warm welcome awaits you at Moor Park Golf Club. It is the perfect place to play a game of golf for business or pleasure. The two Championship style courses have been a centre of UK golf history since their design by Harry Colt in 1923.

Surrounded by mature parkland both the High and the West Course feature fast fairways and exceptional greens. This Rickmansworth based Golf Club offers a challenging environment for every player
The West Course, although shorter than the High, demands an exacting approach from the golfer to reach the tricky greens in regulation.

Both the High and the West Courses are managed in the same meticulous way with greens of exceptional quality throughout the year.

Ranked in the ‘Top 100’ Golf Courses in England, the High Course welcomes a number of high-profile local, national and international events.

Annually, we are proud to host the prestigious Hertfordshire Stag and The Carris Trophy (English Boys’ Open Strokeplay Championship) was launched here in 1935. The Trophy returns to its home Club every 4 years and is played on the High Course. The Carris Trophy attracts an international field of young talented people with past winners including Sandy Lyle and Justin Rose.

Moor Park has also been the setting for the Bob Hope Classic, the Spalding Silver King, Uniroyal, The Four Stars Pro-Celebrity, Woolmark Ladies European Match Play Championship and the Ladies British Open.


Beaconsfield Web Site

Holyport
Beaconsfield is a beautifully presented, classic Harry Colt designed course with excellent practice facilities. The course remains basically the same as when it was originally designed in 1913 by HS "Harry" Colt and has many of his trademark features. In particular it is very well bunkered and has unusually large greens. Each of the holes has its own character and is separated from its neighbouring holes by mature mixed woodland.

Apart from the 6th and 8th hole it offers very easy walking, though a few single seat buggies are available for hire.

To fulfil his dream of establishing a prestigious eighteen hole golf course and clubhouse on his estate to replace the original nine hole course, in 1913 Colonel Du Pre had engaged the services of no less a golf course architect than H.S. (Harry) Colt to design the new course on a different part of the estate. In the words of Henry Longhurst, Colt became “the best golf architect of all time” and by 1913 he had already designed some twenty courses including those at Stoke Poges, The Eden at St Andrews, Pine Valley, N. J., USA, Puerta de Hierro in Madrid and St Georges Hill. Colt went on to design over three hundred other courses in some sixteen countries including Wentworth, Moor Park and the New Sunningdale course.
Holyport


And to match the excellence of his new course, the Colonel also engaged the services of one of London's most prestigious building architects of the time, Stanley Hamp, to design the new clubhouse.
 




.