2013 news‎ > ‎

New Participating Clubs

posted 18 Feb 2013, 01:37 by Paul Collier   [ updated 7 Mar 2013, 06:11 by Brian Ward ]
On March 1st 2013 three more excellent courses will be joining the Golf Society of Great Britain as Participating Clubs.  Further information on the courses can be found below and we will be visiting each of them for one of our regular meetings in the not too distant future. Members will be able to arrange a round of golf on these courses for 50% (or county card rate) of the normal green fee providing that they reside outside the residential exclusion radius.

Blackmoor

Situated deep in the Hampshire countryside, Blackmoor Golf Club has a beautiful 6164 yard heathland course, with heather lined fairways. It is built on a free draining sand base and therefore remains open throughout the year and is a delight to play.

Designed by the celebrated Harry Colt in 1913, Blackmoor provides a sense of tranquility with no road, rail or aircraft noise to distract the keen golfer.

The course is home to a number of amateur and professional competitions, including the 'Selborne Salver' which attracts international and Walker Cup players. It is also used by the Hampshire Golf Union for their county championships.


Blackmoor Golf Club is noted for its friendly atmosphere and welcomes visitors and societies. The club is situated within easy reach of Guildford, Portsmouth and the A3.





One of the Top 100 golf courses in England, Blackmoor was a regional qualifier for the Open Championship 1998-2003. The course is maintained in top condition for golf all year with excellent dining, bar and half way hut.

There is a well stocked Pro-Shop; Lessons and training academy for beginners and improvers




Conwy

Conwy is located along the North Wales coast, in the shadow of Conwy Mountain overlooking the estuary towards Llandudno’s Great Orme and the Isle of Anglesey visible to the west.

A truly magnificent and spectacular setting for golf, set on links land known locally for years as the Morfa

Back in 1875, a group of members from the Royal Liverpool Golf Club realised the potential of this land and initially arranged a 12-hole layout, leading to the formation of the Club in 1890 and an 18-hole course by 1895. Since this time, our history page details the many Championships, both professional and amateur, that have been played at Conwy.

The link with Royal Liverpool Golf Club continues, with Conwy selected as a Local Final Qualifying Venue for The Open Championship during July 2006. This was the first time for a club in Wales to have had this honour and the event was a great success, with only the three qualifiers under par-Jon Bevan, Mikko Ilonen and Warren Bladon.

Ilonen, from Finland, winner of the 2007 Jakarta Astro Indonesia Open, was full of praise – 

‘ I loved the flat, links layout … tough but very fair’ and went on to finish tied 16th at The Open itself.

We are also proud of the fact that we were awarded the HSBC/Golf Monthly Regional Course Rankings Gold Award for 2005 and 2006.

Over the past six years Conwy has hosted the 2007 Ladies’ British Amateur Stroke Play Championship. the prestigious European Amateur Team Championship in 2009, the S4C Wales Ladies Championship of Europe in 2010 and hosted its third European Senior tour event in August 2012.

Our links provide a great test of golf all year round, as one would expect of an Open Qualifying course and whilst we strive to maintain these high standards, our objective is also to ensure that our members, visitors and societies enjoy their golf here. This truly is golf as it should be.

And once you have completed your round, come and enjoy the magnificent views of the course from our modern clubhouse, with a drink or two and a bite to eat from our wide-ranging bar & restaurant menu.

We look forward to welcoming you all year round



Edgbaston

Established in 1896, Edgbaston is one of the best private member golf clubs in the midlands, with an 18 hole course designed by H.S. Colt in a unique setting just one mile from the centre of Birmingham.

Amid the splendour of this wonderful parkland course surrounded by mature woodland, it is difficult to imagine that Birmingham is so close. The course includes an ornamental lake and plays through mature and extensive woodland with small greens and tight fairways.

The magnificent clubhouse, the wonderful food and, most of all, the guaranteed warmth of your welcome by our staff and our members will make your visit to Edgbaston a real joy.

The Golf Course was laid out in 1936 by the legendary Harry Colt who was also responsible for the design and remodeling of many famous courses including the New and Eden courses at St Andrews, Muirfield, Sunningdale and Royal St Georges.

The course is not particularly long but it demands accurate play to tricky greens that are always in excellent condition. There are many pitfalls awaiting the stray shot and the undulating greens will punish poor putts.

Edgbaston was nominated as one of the top 200 courses in the UK by Peter Alliss. We are very proud of our golf club and we enjoy extending a warm welcome to visitors and societies by prior arrangement.

Comments